Tick, tick, tick… that’s the sound of my internal travel clock ticking. Tick, tick, tick.
When I’ve been settled for a while, it seems as though my internal travel clock starts screaming at me to make some plans involving far-flung places. I sometimes envy people who are satisfied with the status quo as they don’t have to deal with the ups and downs involved with wanting to get up and go.
Maybe it’s gotten worse since we’ve dropped the partner visa application with immigration. Now that I’m even more tied to this country, I can’t think of anything other than gallivanting distant lands – and returning here of course (Australia Immigration, I heart you!).
But, I’m not done with traveling. There’s an entire world out there to explore, and somehow, some way, I will do it! For me, it all starts with making the plans.
With that in mind, here are 10 places I want to travel to before I hit the age of 30. I’m 27 now, so when it comes down to it, it’s not really much time to plan, save and act.
- Georgia – The country, not the state, people. They invented wine! I was actually going to travel here back in 2008, but there was that whole war thing going on. It would be the first place I went if I had the funds to spare right now, especially since I have a friend that is currently living there.
- Uzbekistan – It’s Uzbekistan! It not only sounds cool, but it has some amazing cities. I just didn’t happen to make it there on my last Central Asian adventure.
- Kyrgyzstan – Yes, I’ve been here, but I need to return. I also need to bring Pat with me because he has some strange vision that it’s like the wild west. He doesn’t understand that there are real cities with normal people and some deeeeelicious food in the Kyrg.
- Russia – Russia only makes sense! It fits into my whole exploration of the former Soviet Union and love of the bleak.
- Mongolia – Riding a horse across the Gobi Desert and sleeping in a yurt… sounds good to me!
- India – I know that whenever I do get here that I will be spending a good chunk of that time with tummy troubles. But, I don’t care. India is an amazing, intriguing and inspiring place that I must get to.
- Syria – I’ve heard stories about the kindness of the Syrian people. It’s a little off-beat, but it is definitely calling my name. Aleppo, is that you?
- Greece – Part of my ancient triangle (Greece, Italy, Egypt), Greece is a place full of history and yummy food. I think I could handle a month or two in this country.
- Egypt – Hello, pyramids! Need I say more? I want to ride a camel and play hide and seek with mummies. Cheap Egypt holidays have been on my radar ever since I lived in Ukraine, and I’m wishing now I had taken advantage of the the opportunity when I had the chance with a good price.
- Tunisia – Tunisia has quite the rich history as well. You might have heard about Carthage before when studying ancient history. It’s right there in the vicinity of Egypt and Greece, too.
To me, this looks like one awesome trip! However, I highly doubt that I will be taking it all at once… but who knows? A nice round-the-world plane ticket (or two) from Airtreks (or the like) would be 70% of the battle in my mind. How does that sound, Airtreks?
Is this thing on?