Day 31: 365 Photo + Blog Project One Month In – Stats, Growth, Thoughts

Pinterest
Day 31: Hot Way to End the Month

Day 31: Hot Way to End the Month

Holy crap! Can this be true? Someone pinch me!

It’s already been one full month of 2011, and I’ve actually managed to follow through on my one photo and one blog post a day project. Huzzah!

What can I say now looking back?

Well, it’s been a process and a chore, but a fun and interesting one. Remember when I said I regretted not taking enough photos of myself on my travels, sometimes just because I felt awkward being in the photo or taking the photo in a public place? Going just as planned, I think I’m getting more comfortable with the whole process. I mean, taking a photo of myself in the movie theater is something I probably never would have done if it weren’t for the project, but it’s a moment and a memory now captured and shared.

A few people have asked me if I have been blogging every day or if I set them up ahead of time.

For those of you concerned with my dedication, I’ll have you know that I blog every day. I’ve even fallen asleep after a late night with the computer in my lap in bed. What I’ll do when I actually do a bit of traveling is beyond me, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

For anyone interested in seeing the daily photos in one place, I have them all hosted on Flickr. This is my January 2011 set.

January 2011

Just now, after having a peak, I can see that a HUGE theme for me is food and drink. Spice of life, I say!

It’s been a blogging smorgasbord.

A number of different topics have been brought up in the past month (many involving food and drink), and I have so many more on the list. The only thing I worry about is running out of good ideas, which is why I have been finding myself holding off on writing about one thing until a later time (see: Saving My Beer Posts for a Day You’re Not All Drunk). Maybe I shouldn’t do that? By holding off on the good, I might be bringing up more of the not-so-good writing. Then again, I’m blogging every day!

As for stats, I’ve definitely become addicted to my Google Analytics again. The beginning of the month saw massive gains and heaps of comments, but towards the end of the month these have somewhat leveled out.

Over the previous month, I have seen:

• an increase in visits by 50%
  • an increase in pageviews by 63%
  • an increase in pages per visit by 9%
  • a decrease in bounce rate by 3%
  • an increase in time spent on site by 32%

The most popular post of the month has been my Coffee Around the World round-up in both comments and views.

Feedburner subscribers took a good jump up near the beginning, but I think that has more to do with Christine mentioning my blog as part of a bundle in the top 100 inspired travel blogs of 2010. It’s hard to track blog subscribers unless they subscribe via email.

I was a little surprised to see that traffic from search engines had not actually gone up this month, but I’m definitely interested to see if that increases in the coming months now that I have even more content and topics running around.

There have been no gains in terms of income from blogging this month, which is fine and not really something I expected. January has been about building up my sites and content, and spreading myself around where I can. I got a new blog theme that I’m still ironing out with a not-so-male-friendly color palette that I love (sorry, guys, don’t run away), and I have a gazillion ideas for projects I want to do but just don’t have the time.

Final thoughts on the 365 Photo + Blog Project.

Blogging each and every day sort of makes me feel like I’m constantly running without the time to catch up. I can’t reflect on what I write like I normally would do because I have to get it up and out and keep on running to the next. I guess you could say this is more honest writing in the sense that I don’t have the time to really think back and censor and edit like I could. It’s not really a bad thing, but maybe quality is lacking? You tell me.

In the same regards, maybe there is just too many posts for readers to handle? Too late, though. I’m committed to the next 11 months of doing the same. ;)

Pinterest

About Brooke

Brooke is a passionate traveler who has a love for any country that ends in -stan, languages she'll never be able to speak, and cannoli. She is the creator of Aroamas travel perfume sticks and the female travel focused Her Packing List website. Follow on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.

We can hang out every day. No, really! Get BvtW updates via email:

, ,

19 Responses to Day 31: 365 Photo + Blog Project One Month In – Stats, Growth, Thoughts

1. Nicolas De Corte January 31, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

I think we can summarize that in January 2011 you’ve spent quite and amount of time eating, hanging out with friend, laying down and working on the computer….
    And taking pictures.

2. Tim Van Autreve February 1, 2011 at 1:53 am #

I think that doing it every day keeps people engaged. I’m sure it’s difficult for you but, it’s not hard for us to read a blog post for 3 minutes every day :P. Keep it up. You’re doing great. I want to hear more about crazy cultural stuff. Stuff that we crass Americans would find just bonkers.

• Brooke February 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Aw, thanks, Tim ;) Now if we can just get to the more travel phase of my 2011, this thing will get better :)

3. Jane February 1, 2011 at 6:13 am #

Looks like your camera and computer have become your best friend=)

• Brooke February 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

For the record, it’s Pat’s camera (the small one) and not mine :( My big camera is just too annoying to carry and use all the time.

4. Rebecca February 1, 2011 at 7:02 am #

I am quite liking these posts. They are very short and very specific, which is something I am trying to do with my blog as well. Twice a week is hard enough for me, snaps for doing it every day!!!

• Brooke February 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

It’s funny that you talk about them being short because it feels like I’m writing them for ages ;)

5. Lauren February 1, 2011 at 10:40 am #

Honestly, what I’ve liked about your blog from the get-go is that you’re very concise. It doesn’t take a lot of time to read you, because you keep things short, but also because you’re writing style just “flows.” I get exactly what you’re saying when I read you each and every time. So I don’t think you’re overwhelming readers–at least not this one :)

• Brooke February 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

I think I write how I speak, so I guess I don’t use big words or colorful language. Just basic speak, which is good so then people don’t have to think too hard… then again, I won’t be winning any literary comps. *sigh*

Thanks for the kind words, Fritsky!

6. Annie February 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Way to go Brooke! Sounds like your project is helping out the site!

I think it’s a great idea, even just little tidbits about something you think about daily or even just a small event that day are fun to read about and it gives you a reason to reflect on something that you might not have done otherwise!

Plus, polaroids are fun!

I’ve been so behind on my reading and when I came to you on my Reader I see how many days behind I really am! Gotta find some time to catch up!

Good work! Looking forward to what February brings for you!

• Brooke February 3, 2011 at 12:28 am #

Hi Annie! Thanks for getting caught up with me :) Much appreciated. If I could keep up with my reader, I would rock so much harder, but damn… too many blogs! Thanks for the compliments and following!

7. Erica February 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

Doing the 365 days project alone is quite the goal but to add the blogging aspect into it… you’re a fiend! I know during my project the creativity comes in waves. There will be times you will want to give up – just hang in there and when you reach the end, it will be one of the most satisfying moments.

• Brooke February 3, 2011 at 12:41 am #

Fiend I am! :) I just realized that I put up my 33rd post/photo tonight, so I’m having faith that it will pass quickly. I’m excited for the final result!

8. Abbey Hesser February 12, 2011 at 9:36 am #

I love love LOVE this idea. Blogging everyday for me, would be, like a dream. Unfortunately, the reality that I can really only get to a faster-than-dial-up internet connection once a week sort of kills that dream for me, but I love it all the same. People discount the amount of effort it takes to blog everyday once you get in a pattern. I backpacked Europe for 2 months in 2007 and literally blogged every single day of the trip. Yes sometimes I had to sacrifice my afternoon siesta or going out to dinner with hostel friends, but I think I benefited from it so much in the end having such a detailed log of what I was up to. Keep up the good work!!

9. Ian [EagerExistence] March 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

I was wondering what the “Day XX” in front of every post was. I guess now I know. That is dedication. I guess after all your years on the road, you’d be getting pretty quick at busting out the blog + photo update… well, I hope so #getoffthecomputer!! :-P

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention 365 Photo + Blog Project One Month In - Stats, Growth, Thoughts -- Topsy.com - January 31, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by brooke schoenman and brooke schoenman, Drs. Suzana Sugito . Drs. Suzana Sugito said: RT @brookeschoenman: Day 31: 365 Photo + Blog Project One Month In – Stats, Growth, Thoughts http://su.pr/2X4uHE [...]

2. Phooey | Brooke vs. the World - October 12, 2011

[...] alert.I started out the year on such a run and with big goals. Sadly, you’ve probably noticed that my daily posts have [...]

3. The Hardest Lesson I Learned in 2011 | Brooke vs. the World - December 29, 2011

[...] was oozing from my fingertips as all my projects were kicking into high gear. I started my daily post and photo project on Brooke vs. the World, and that quickly brought in commenters and readers I didn’t know [...]