The inspiration for today’s post is a bit of a stretch perhaps. I was preparing a nice faux meat roast for dinner tonight (Pat and I eat a veggie meat dinner at least once a week), and I got to thinking about my recent gastro incident involving a half-chicken, half bolognese pizza. Since then, I have returned to cheese pizza only — at least until I can shake the fears of getting the bug again. If only I had just gone veggo that night, I wouldn’t have had to suffer like I did.
Do you know what the real kicker to this story is?
I managed to travel to some not so clean places in this world only getting one night of real food poisoning during that time, but I’ve since gotten it twice while in Australia!
Sure, I’ve had my fair share of “stomach trouble” as I adjusted to small amounts of tap water in Guatemala and to the diet and tap water in Kyrgyzstan. I had to boil my water in Ukraine in order to drink it as a tea. I ate salads and food prepared at the markets in Bishkek.
Did you wash your hands before you patted out those fresh tortillas? Hmm… I don’t know because I didn’t ask.
Perhaps I was just lucky.
Someone I met in my hostel in Antigua, Guatemala told me about an incident he had with gastro while there. He was on a chicken bus, the bus driver wouldn’t stop for him, so he literally had to take a crap while hanging his bum out the door.
That story frightened the poo out of me (figuratively), so I made sure to never, ever, ever be without immodium when traveling. It also made me thankful to never have an experience that could relate to that sort of urgency… not until our contaminated pizza night in Australia.
Boo… hiss! Every time I walk past the place, I can’t even look at it (yeah, it’s our local). Our calculations are pointing to the chicken side as it was the chicken leftovers I had for lunch the next day — before knowing that Pat had been having stomach problems at work that morning. It put me out for a week.
Fever, chills, loss of liquids at extreme rates. I was going delirious and all I could think about is the fact that this happened here, of all places in the world. I even said this:
There is no way I’m putting myself in this position again. That includes traveling to places where this sort of thing is common (think India).
It was like one of those really hungover resolutions to never drink again. At the time, I meant it, but in hindsight, I can’t give up the idea of traveling to India.
Fast-forward a week and a half after the incident. My stomach felt weak, but it was going much better, so I went out to dinner with Pat and his family. The next day, we were both in agony. It was like we were having a relapse of the food poisoning, and I got really, really worried that we were never going to recover.
After consulting with Pat’s brother and mom, it turns out they had stomach troubles, too! Although much milder, I got food poisoned yet again!
Just goes to show you can get gastro where you least expect it.