I like to use my time abroad to also learn something in the process. Over the years (yes, it is plural now), I have taken part in many learning activities, such as art and archaeology courses and classes at language schools.
- Ecomuseu Cap de Cavalleria – The Ecomuseu Cap de Cavalleria offers month long hands on archaeology courses in Menorca, Spain.
I took part in an excavation here in October of 2007. The course fee includes room and board and all lessons. Great experience!
Community College Courses
- Macquarie Community College – Macquarie Community College offers a variety of courses including arts, languages, and sports around Sydney.
I took a silver jewelry making course with Macquarie and absolutely loved it.
- Casa Rosario – Casa Rosario is a Spanish language school in San Pedro, Guatemala.
The school is great, and the people running it like to use the money to give back to the children of the community. If you can get passed all the hippies of the city, its worth a stopover.
- Guatemalensis – Guatemalensis is a Spanish language school in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Xela is a great place for language study because they don’t have as big of a tourist draw. People will actually speak Spanish to you! This school is quality with great teachers and amazing host families. I only stayed for a week, but would gladly go back for more.
- The London School in Bishkek – The London School in Bishkek is a Russian, Kyrgyz and English school in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
I do not have enough kind words to describe this place. I studied Russian here over a period of 4 months and the teachers and staff were no other than helpful and accommodating in every way. My friends and fond memories during my stay in Kyrgyzstan spawned from The London School.