When traveling the world, you’re going to need a place to rest your head. This RTW Accommodation page covers everything from RTW backpackers accommodation to couch surfing to short term apartments.
Hostels: Backpackers Accommodation
If you’re an RTW backpacker, then the accommodation choice for you is most likely a hostel. Hostels generally contain rooms with multiple beds where backpackers pay a rate cheaper than hotels, helping them to travel on a budget. Some hostels even offer private rooms making them more like budget backpacker hotels.
Want to know what hostel stays are like? Read my reviews:
- Chicago Getaway Hostel: Chicago, IL, USA
- Istanbul’s Bahaus Hostel: Istanbul, Turkey
- Anzac Hotel: Canakkale, Turkey
- Cheers Hostel: Istanbul, Turkey
- Rodem House: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Soul Kitchen Jr.: St. Petersburg, Russia
If you want to find youth and adults hostel accommodation, guest houses and budget backpacker hotels, I suggest Hostelworld for your search.
- CouchSurfing – CouchSurfing is a collective of people both offering and looking for a free night’s stay all over the world.
I’ve actually never couch surfed, but I have offered my couch to one person before. If you are offering your couch, just be sure you clear up the details in advance (e.g. how many days they can stay, etc.) so you’re not stuck in a awkward situation down the line.
Homestays are when you live with a local family during your travels. I have done this option a couple of times while studying a language and, although I didn’t last long, I’m glad to have had this experience. You will learn things about the local culture you can’t learn while living out of a hostel or apartment. If you are taking language study abroad, then the school will more than likely assist with placement.
I may be a thrifty, budget traveler, but there is a time and a place for hotels — like when you’re sick and need a proper, quiet place to sleep, or when there’s a special occasion to be celebrated.
- Las-Vegas-Hotel-Discounts.info – Latest room deals and offer codes for many popular hotels in Las Vegas.
Read my review of the Cambridge Hotel in Sydney >>
Short Term Apartments
In your attempt at perpetual nomad-ism, there’s going to be times where you need to stay put for a bit longer than usual (to make money). This is when short term apartments come in handy.
- Furnished Property – The Furnished Property Group offers short to medium term accommodation in and around Sydney City, perfect for working holiday goers.
I have lived in their guest house accommodation and can say that it does make life easy to find fully furnished housing that you can get a contract on for as little as a month.
- Roomorama – Roomorama offers short-term apartment rentals all around the world.
Roomorama are actually site sponsors at this moment, helping to accommodate Patrick and I in various rentals on the Silk Roadistan tour.
- Oh-Barcelona – A resource for seeking out short-term rentals in Barcelona, Spain.
- All-Paris-Apartments – A targeted resource for searching short-term rental apartments in Paris, France.
- Oh-Rome – Italy travelers can find short term rentals in Rome through this website.
Short Term Accommodation Search
- craigslist – craigslist offers users all over the world the opportunity to advertise accommodation.
- Gumtree – Gumtree is especially large in the UK and Australia for everything from finding jobs to finding apartments.
This was how I found my jobs and first apartment in Sydney.
- SellMyTimeshareNow – This company has spacious timeshares for rent by owner which are perfect for group travel.
If your company is an accommodation resource and would like to be listed on this page, please get in touch for advertising rates.